Sunday, October 18, 2015

Erin Spens / White City, Black City: A Conversation with Sharon Rotbard (Boat Mag, October 2015)


Nicknamed the “White City” Tel Aviv prides itself on its display of Bauhaus architecture, but this version of the story all but ignores the relationship Tel Aviv had with its parent city, Jaffa, Palestine’s major port city at the time. The book is gripping and incredibly well researched and after reading it I knew this was a side to the city that needed to be represented in our Tel Aviv issue of Boat Magazine. What I didn’t expect was the negative reaction I got from a few Tel Avivians when I explained more about this story. Like it or not, Boat Magazine has always been committed to presenting more than one point of view of a city, but I’d never come across such heated opinions as this book produced.
I was lucky to spend some time talking to Mr. Rotbard about his book and about these reactions I got. Along with a few quotes from this interview and a passage from the book which we published in Issue 10, I thought it would be worth publishing our full conversation here for those interested in his point of view or to learn more about why we decided to include his excerpt in the Tel Aviv issue.
continue reading here:  http://www.boat-mag.com/white-city/